More than 90% of children ages 3 to 18 years old have access to the internet. Around 88% of those kids use a computer, while only 6% use a smartphone or tablet. So, what does all of that mean for your family? Well, it probably means you should check out Firefox parental controls to keep your kids safe but satisfied. Here’s what you need to know.
What are Firefox parental controls?
All internet browsers have user settings that can be adjusted to enhance your online experience. However, they don’t all have screen time management controls for parents. Firefox is one of the browsers that’s known for its family-friendly monitoring tools.
You won’t find any built-in options on the browser but that’s not a dealbreaker. It’s because there are several add-ons that you can use to customize your monitoring guidelines. Within the settings, you can control content access, block certain websites, stop unwanted pop-ups, and even limit screen time for multiple accounts.
How to use the program on all your devices
Since Firefox parental controls aren’t included with the initial program, the settings must be edited manually with these 3 easy steps:
- Go to the “Tools” tab and click on the “Add-ons” prompt.
- Wait for the appropriate settings window to appear on the screen.
- Click “Options” and set it to enable your preferred parental controls.
- When in the “Options” tab, click on the new drop-down menu at the top-right of the screen.
- Click the “Preferences” button to access the website blocking interface.
- A new tab will then open with an option to restrict specific sites and/or keywords.
Keep in mind that you might not be able to control every aspect of your child’s online experience even if you set the strictest guidelines. That’s because your kids can still browse the internet on Incognito Mode. When they do that, you cannot see their browsing history at all. Luckily, there’s a way to disable IM but the method varies depending on several factors.
Tips for using Firefox parental controls on a PC or phone
Did you know that 1 in 20 children has arranged a meeting with someone they met online? As a result, parents have started using Firefox parental controls more than ever before. So now, the browser’s setup and settings are especially user-friendly, tough against spyware, and a solid block against cybercrime.
To help your kids get the most out of their online experience, have them follow these 2 simple rules:
- Never give out your personal information to someone you’ve never met in person, especially adults.
- Strange or suspicious source programs and files should not be downloaded without a parent’s consent.
Talk to your kids about cyber safety and healthy screen times to prevent them from acting dangerously with the internet.
The takeaway on Firefox parental controls
It’s possible to monitor and manage your children’s online experience by using Firefox parental controls. Just be sure to check all the appropriate boxes and communicate your expectations with the fam.