Did you know that there are probably several free parenting classes in your community right now? That’s because our society respects good parents and tries to help the great kids that come from them. Still, cost-effective courses aren’t the best bet for all families. So, consider the pros and cons before signing up.
What do free parenting classes offer?
When you sign up for these family-friendly classes, you learn a lot about being a good parent. The teachers have experience in raising children of all types. So, they can give you useful techniques to handle everything from emotional outbursts to teenage rebellion.
Meanwhile, you also learn ways to organize your life as a parent. That, in turn, shows you how to act responsibly while still enjoying the time you have with your kids. In most cases, families benefit from free classes for parents because it helps them consider things they may not have before.
The pros and cons of free parenting classes
Believe it or not, some families don’t benefit as much from these complimentary classes for parents. That’s because they’re usually a one-size-fits-all solution to common parenting problems. They are not, however, ideal for extenuating circumstances or extreme trauma. For good measure, let a licensed therapist handle those things. In the meantime, consider these important pros and cons:
- There is no cost to you or your family. That means you can attend classes with no money and usually don’t even need to pay a babysitter.
- They give you tools to help you implement each lesson. So, you’re not just taught a bunch of stuff and then left to your own devices.
- You get instant access to a variety of community resources. Most of the time, it’s a list of organizations and businesses that never advertise otherwise.
- You’ll make friends with other parents who have same-age kids. That’s a bonus perk in and of itself, especially during playdates and birthday parties.
- Your home life begins to improve rapidly. Thanks to the tips and tricks they teach, you learn effective ways to parent peacefully.
- The class topics aren’t always aligned with your needs. That’s because the teachers have to make their topics relatable to many different family types.
- Classes are generally an hour or more long. So, you might have to make arrangements if you’ve got a fussy baby or wiggly kids.
- Some say that quality time fixes more than an hour-long parenting class ever could. That means perhaps considering a balance between the two.
Remember, your experience will not be the same as someone else’s. So, compare the offerings to your family’s needs to determine whether you’ve picked the right one.
The 3 best free online classes for parents
Not in the mood to drag your family around town even if you find a great class? No problem. Check out these free online alternatives:
#1. Peace at Home Parenting Solutions
Get instant answers to your questions, plus recordings of all the classes you’ve missed so far.
#2. Parent Class Online
Enjoy easy lesson plans and specialized materials for things like death and divorce. You even get a free certificate when you’re done.
#3. Positive Parenting
This one is court-approved and offers certification at the end as well. Plus, you get 24/7 access and downloadable proof you’re in class.
For more information on any of those programs, contact their customer service directly.