Baby cribs look very plain without a crib skirt, which is available in various styles, patterns, and colors. To find out what varieties are available, take a look at the options presented here, and pick your favorite.
Crib skirts are nothing but apron-like cloth pieces that hide the mattress in a baby’s crib, making the crib exterior, look presentable and neat. They look very cute when they are patterned in unique designs, with the use of various colored fabric. They are a very common part of a crib’s bedding, and is also known as a crib dust ruffle. They can be made in any desired manner, depending on how you want to style the nursery of your baby. These skirts are very easy to make, where all you have to do is get the dimensions, pick a fabric, and follow some simple sewing tips. The reason it is called a skirt is because when it is draped on the sides of a crib, it looks like a ruffled or pleated skirt.
Various Patterns to Choose From
There are a number of designs which are available for baby nurseries. You can also choose a pattern depending on whether it’s a boy’s or girl’s crib. Coordinating the colors, picking the type fabric and print, as well as preparing a design for the skirt, are essential, yet easy steps. Speaking of the patterns you can choose from, we have a few listed below.
One of the most commonly used patterns come in plain fabric, which is more like a drape, that is very basic in its function. Even though it looks very ordinary, there are many ways with which this nursery bedding pattern can be made to look presentable and stylish. It consists of two pieces of fabric that are hemmed at the edges. This is then tucked under the mattress.
This is a stylish design, since pleats always give any clothing a very neat finish. Creating pleats is a very easy task, where you two or more folds of fabric are pinched, together, before being sewn. You can use plaid in various bright colors to make these crib skirts for both boys and girls.
Many people commonly misunderstand pleats for ruffles, which are actually two different layers of the dust ruffle skirt. Ruffles are created when the fabric is gathered in a bunch, and then hemmed together, around the skirt’s edges. The waves that are created, look attractive when placed under the mattress. These are used in single or double rows to give it a contemporary look.
Learn to Make the Skirt Yourself
Sewing a skirt at home is surely not a tough job. Well, if you love sewing, here are some easy tips to make some great options for your little angel.
- 2 to 4 yards of colored fabric for the skirt and skirt sheet
- Measuring tape
- Colored thread
- Sewing machine (optional; use thread and needle, instead)
- To start, you will need to cut the fabric in an appropriate manner, as the later steps depend on this. Therefore, measure the crib mattress dimensions and then cut two/four pieces of the skirt fabric, accordingly. Also, cut one piece of the skirt sheet similarly, which will be a part of the skirt that remains under the mattress.
- Hem all the sides of the fabric to give it a clean edge on all sides, so that you don’t notice loose threads coming undone. Then, place the skirt sheet in the center, and using the machine, stitch one of the ends of each skirt fabric piece, to the respective side of the skirt sheet.
- Then, place the central skirt sheet on the mattress support, and let it cascade from it, before placing the mattress on this. The crib will look adorable once the crib skirt is in place.