It’s important to keep your baby’s onesies and jumpers clean. But did you know that your family’s favorite detergent could do more harm than good? In fact, you’re not the only parent asking, “Should I wash newborn clothes before use” because it’s a pretty common question. Here are the answers.
Why should I wash newborn clothes before use?
Your baby was born with extremely sensitive skin. That means you might not be able to use your regular laundry detergents to clean their clothes. And since you’ll be washing onesies for at least twelve months, it’s important to learn about safety.
You see, sensitive baby skin can react to the ingredients in your favorite laundry soap. So, even if it smells amazing, your baby could suffer the consequences. Instead of chancing it, a lot of parents use hypoallergenic soaps that are designed specifically for small children.
Meanwhile, some hypoallergenic soaps can still cause problems. That’s because of the chemicals in the detergent. But with baby-safe soap, parents can rest assured that their little one is snug as a bug. Then, their little one can rest comfortably day or night. In fact, many pediatricians recommend it because it prevents fussiness.
What kind of laundry detergent should I use on baby clothes?
Find the best detergents for baby clothes is easier than you think. If you’re lucky, you might even be able to find a few coupons to help you save some money. Check out these five popular brands, and visit their websites to view special offers and discounts:
- Dreft – This brand is known as the original baby laundry soap and remains the choice of most parents and doctors.
- Mrs. Meyer’s – It’s made by the company that became famous for its plant-based cleaning products and sustainable home goods.
- The Honest Company – This one is specially designed for sensitive skin and can be purchased as part of a subscription.
- Zum Baby – It uses all-natural ingredients to clean your baby’s clothes and protect their delicate skin.
- Babyganics – You get a concentrated bottle of an organic, fragrance-free formula that lifts stains and smells super fresh.
Try to remember that the price of these detergents should never be the deciding factor on whether you buy them or not. Also, keep in mind that your baby cannot tell you if it’s uncomfortable or itchy. So, don’t forget that some of the products on this list can help soften materials on new clothes too.
When should I wash newborn clothes before use?
You’ve found the perfect laundry soap and understand why it’s important to use it. So, now when should you wash baby clothes before use? Check this out:
- When the items have been kept in storage for a while
- If the clothes come in contact with potential allergens
- Whenever someone outside the family gives them as a gift
- After you bring it home from the store
There are many times when a good washing is in order. There are other times when you could probably skip it. But as long as you’re using a good newborn laundry soap, your bundle of joy will feel the difference.