When you hear that first cry, when you see those tiny eyes shut tightly, and hold that frail little baby in your arms; it is one of the best experiences of your life. All those thoughts about how your child would look like when you see it for the first time, and how eagerly you were waiting for this moment, rush back into your head. You actually see what you have truly created, and are so proud of its mere existence. This is what all new parents might be going through when their first baby is born. They can always think of experiencing parenthood one more time, and start planning for a second child.
Having children is a beautiful experience, provided that you know your responsibilities towards them. It's easy to decide to have another baby, but only if you have considered the possibilities of when and why.
Things to Keep in Mind
- As having a baby is in itself a very sensitive issue, you have to be prepared and be ready to welcome it. If you have your first child, the best time to have the second one, is by keeping a distance of at least two to three years.
- This is the ideal time spacing to maintain between your children, considering many reasons. Giving company is the most important factor for your first child. Similarly, you also need to be prepared to give the same amount of love, care, and comfort to the second one, as well.
- If you have your next baby within a year after the first, you may not be mentally and physically fit for it, and taking care of both of them can be difficult.
- Thus, when you have a gap of 3 to 4 years, the first child is old enough to understand certain things.
- This is a very important factor, which you should consider in such situations.
- With your first baby, you know that you can provide a descent lifestyle for the entire family, but these things might change when you want another one.
- If you are financially healthy, and are sure that you can raise both of them till they are old enough to earn for themselves, you are free to take the decision. Financial security is always necessary when you are thinking about child development.
- You also have to consider whether your lifestyle is safe and healthy with two children; if you are happy and healthy, only then can you keep your family happy.
- You also have to consider your health in various regards. Are you fit enough to deal with a second pregnancy?
- As a couple, both of you need to be healthy and disease free, to avoid complications in your baby.
- Both of you have to be of the right age to have another child, that is, if the mother can be below 35 years of age, then the father can be aged 42 years and below. If not, then consult your physician before implying your decision.
- If the mother did not have a normal pregnancy during the first time, there are chances that she might face complications in case of the second one too. Thus, make sure that your health history is good enough to go for it.
- If both of you are on medications of any kind, you should make sure that they are harmless for the childbirth.
Apart from the issues mentioned above, there are many other things that you could discuss with a family doctor, before deciding to have a second baby. However, if you know that you are fit for all these aspects, and are ready to pour out your love for yet another creation, then surely go for it!
Disclaimer: This article is for reference purposes only and does not encourage any of the above aspects. Please consult your family doctor in such cases, which involve family matters.