Baby safety information is so vast that a mere article will not be able to cover all the points that are involved in it. Nevertheless, we have made an attempt to cover as many points as we could in this one.
The safety and protection of your baby is not only your duty and responsibility, but also a job that you willingly signed up for and swore to do to the best of your abilities. And while you might solemnly believe that all you need is your own alertness, a lot of love and care for your baby, the truth is that you, as a new parent could do with some baby safety tips that will help you to better your attempts to provide a safe and secure environment for your little one. This AptParenting article will help you out with some such practical tips that you can keep in mind.
Baby Safety While At Home
Your home may be your safe heaven, but here is where most accidents are waiting to happen. In order to ensure that your child is well protected from the possible dangers within your home, go through the following safety tips.
- Never leave the baby unattended, especially when he’s in the turning over phase at the age of 3 to 4 months. He could tumble out of a bed.
- When in the crib, make sure that the handle bars rise above the head of the baby. This way, he won’t be able to climb over them. Also go through these safety regulations for baby cribs.
- It’s understandable that you’ll be exhausted while taking care of a newborn baby and managing the home, but try not to sleep very soundly when your baby is around. This will come as a natural instinct, but it’s better to have someone monitor the baby while you rest.
- While holding the baby, always give his head and neck the support of your arm.
- Keep your floors clean of spills and toys scattered around to prevent tripping and falling.
- If you are very tired, don’t walk around holding your baby. Sit and rock your child. It is a much safer option.
- When letting children hold the baby, make sure that they are seated in a chair that he or she is comfortable in. Don’t let a child hold the baby while standing and NEVER let a child walk around with the baby.
- Keep a minimal distance between yourself and the baby. Don’t sleep too close to the baby as it could lead to accidental suffocation.
- If you have a pet, keep it away from the baby.
- Conceal all electrical cords and make sure that any heavy appliances and items are fastened to their stands.
- Use a baby monitor to keep an eye and ear on your baby if you are busy in another room.
- Use child locks on all small doors and windows that your baby can reach.
- Childproof all electrical sockets that are within the reach of the toddler.
- Keep all sharp and pointed objects away from the areas that the child is taken in.
- The changing table must be flat and smooth, and should not have any holes or indentations.
- When your baby begins to use a walker, make sure that he is supervised at all times. Don’t let him use it near open doorways, stairs or areas that are wet.
- When giving toys to your baby, give only those that are appropriate for his age. Toys with small parts are a complete no-no for babies and toddlers.
- When your child begins teething, he’s bound to put anything and everything he finds in his mouth. To prevent choking, keep any small and hazardous items away from his reach.
- While traveling with a baby, always use a car seat. This is compulsory by law and extremely essential for your child’s safety.
- When using a stroller for the baby, make sure the brakes are in perfect condition. So, when you sit at a spot, you can activate the brakes and make the stroller stationary. However, also stay alert to see that the stroller does not move despite the brakes. Placing your foot at the wheel should keep it from moving around.
- When you put the baby in the stroller, make sure he is safely buckled in.
- When it’s time to fold the stroller, keep your little toddler away from it. You never know when he’ll stick his hand into one of the joints and trap his little fingers.
These were some very simple infant and child safety tips that any parent should be aware of. Child-locking and child-proofing services for houses and automobiles are offered by many prominent companies. Take their help and bring up your baby in as safe an environment as you can.