Your baby does not need to feed often as he reaches four months. His stomach grows bigger by this age and he tends to develop feeding habits that are more like adults. Despite less feeding, he still gains weight.
He may attempt to snatch the food off others' plates. Though he may be unable to chew, due to lack of teeth, he will lick it to test its taste. Parents often mistake this gesture of the baby and encourage him to eat more of the solid food. Parents should keep in mind that baby food for 4 month baby is very different from what we adults eat.
Feeding 4 month old baby
Whether or not, a four old month baby is capable of having food other than breast-fed milk or baby formula, depends on the health of the baby. If the baby has not experienced any stomach related problems till four months, he can start having solid or semi-solid food in his diet.
- Maintain a balance in the baby food diet and in the amount of nutrients, so that your baby neither lacks any nutrients nor gets an overdose of any one nutrient.
- If you are feeding a new solid food item to the baby, feed only 3-4 spoons initially. If he can digest it without vomiting out or causing any stomach disturbance, you may continue with that food.
- If the food is warm, you should taste it before feeding it to him, to avoid burning the baby's mouth.
- Maintain a happy and playful environment during the meal.
- Do not make the baby lie down immediately after the meal.
- Make the baby taste a new food item during his meal time, before he drinks his milk so that the baby is not very tired or hungry.
- Do not feed directly from the jar. Take a small amount of food out on a clean dish and place it in front of the baby. This may encourage the baby to finish the meal since he observes others at the table finishing their own meal.
Introduce 4 month old to Semi-Solid Food
Cereals like rice, barley, oats etc. can be given to the baby in paste form or mixed with the water of legume porridge. You can also try to feed him rice or oats cereal mixed with breast milk, water or formula.
Apples, bananas, pears, avocado are the fruits that can be given to the baby. Banana can be smashed easily, however, apples, pears and avocado has to be processed in the food processor along with milk, to make milkshakes of the fruits. Preferably, filter the shakes too so that no big pieces of the fruits are accidentally fed to the baby.
Potato or parsnip, cauliflower, carrot, acorn squash, sweet potato, green peas, broccoli, butternut squash. Boil these vegetables and smash them to make a soft paste. Do not add any spices, salt or sugar to it.
Development of a 4 month old baby
After 4 months, your baby is going to be curious towards his environment. Anything new will excite him. Colors and patterns are going to occupy his attention. He will try to get up and roll over his side to satisfy his curiosity about things around him. At this stage, sitting with the help of support and bearing weight on legs is commonly seen in babies.
Encourage your baby to make different sounds. Your baby can imagine and looks forward to old stimuli if you make him get used to it. Try to limit the use of pacifier and slowly decrease the baby's dependence on it in the months to come. Give the baby a rattle or sound making toys and watch him get amazed and happy while playing with it.
New sounds, toys or games will easily make him sound out squeals of laughter or rumbling belly laughs. Please remember that every baby grows at his/her pace. Consult a pediatrician if you are worried about anything silly or grave matter concerning your baby.
Crying is the only way for a four month old baby to indicate that his stomach is upset. Generally, many mothers prefer to give Gripe Water to their babies after meals to prevent these stomach problems. Gripe water is a European remedy that always works for gas problems or any other stomach related irregularities.
Gripe water is nothing but herbs-fortified water. These herbs are proven to help calm the stomach and even the intestines. For a baby aged 4 months, one teaspoon of Gripe water, 2-3 times a day is recommended.